Wales Final Festival of One-Act Plays 2017
Throughout the earlier part of the year amateur groups from all over Wales have been competing to be one of the six highest scoring plays which will now compete over Friday and Saturday night for the right to represent Wales at the British Final Festival of One-Act Plays in July.
In 2017 the festival will be held at The Hafren, Llanidloes Road, Newtown, Powys, SY16 4HU
Further details will appear here soon.
- Maynard Cup – Best Overall Production.
- Elf Oil Trophy – Best Individual Performance, introduced at the 1995 Wales Final (hosted by Pembrokeshire Drama Assocition) by the festival sponsors Elf Oil UK Ltd.
- Bernleigh Award – Best Presentation, introduced by Bernie & Leigh Smailes at the 2000 Wales Final.
- Crawshay Cup – Best Original Script receiving its premiere in the regional rounds, introduced at the Wales Final in 1986. The Crawshay Cup competition exists to encourage the writing of new material for the stage and to encourage amateur groups to perform new work. It is awarded annually to an original one act play receiving its premier in the rounds of the United Kingdom Community Drama Festivals Federation – otherwise known as the regional one act festivals.
- Bob McTurk Bursary – Awarded to the Most Promising Actor aged 18-25 in the regional rounds, introduced 2008. In memory of the late Bob McTurk, who was a former DAW Chair (1984-2004), the DAW Executive Committee elected to invest in the future of amateur theatre by creating a bursary for young people to attend DAW’s week-long Summer School.
- Robert Fowler Unsung Hero Award – Awarded for backstage work, introduced in 2015 by DAW Trustee Sybil Fowler in memorium of her late husband.
- DAW Lifetime Achievement Award – Awarded in honour of contribution to amateur theatre within their area. Here is a list of recipients (PDF 238KB)
Updated February 2017